My mom is so precious! While I was at Penn State, my mom snagged one of my vegan recipe books and found an awesome recipe for Baked Ziti Casserole that she made! And- she made it with gluten free pasta! So here it is, inspired by the recipe book "Vegan Bites" by Beverly Lynn Bennett.
Baked Ziti Cazzerole
8 ounces gluten free ziti
8 ounces extra firm tofu
3 T nutritional yeast flakes
4 t freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons agave or coconut nectar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1.5 teaspoons onion powder
3/4 t dried basil (my mom used fresh!)
3/4 t dried oregano (she used fresh for this too!)
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups stemmed and chopped spinach
2 T fresh parsley
1.5 cups tomato gravy/marinara sauce (my mom makes her own :])
1 package Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
1) To cook the ziti, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the ziti and cook, stirring occasionally, according to the packet (I think ours said 8 minutes)
2) Crumble the tofu with your fingers into a large bowl. Add the nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, nectar, garlic and onion powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and mash with a fork until completely smooth.
3) Preheat oven to 375 F. Oil a 9" baking pan / casserole dish.
4) Drain the ziti in a colander and add it to the tofu mixture along with the chopped spinach and parsley. Stir until well combined.
5) Place half of the ziti mixture into the prepared pan. Top it with hal fo the sauce and half of the shredded cheese. Repeat for next layer.
6) Sprinkle some nutritional yeast and mozzarella on top.
7) Bake for 30 minutes until browned on the sides and heated throughout.