Random weekend, INDEED. Jubilee- didn't go there for the first time in a while. It was a strange incident. HOWEVER, my friend Steve and I did find ourselves at the casino...and we found...a club. Yes, Gypsies, we found a club.
We also found ourselves playing penny slots for approximately 20-25 minutes-it didn't take us too long to lose all 10 dollars worth of free money that we got for going to the casino. One slot I played was "KITTY GLITTER"- like of course I'm going to post this one and take a picture of it! Scariest part? The cat on the kitty glitter slot machine looks exactly like my 17-year old cat JULIE! Can't you see the resemblence? #scary
At work today, my boss wanted something new. So what does he say? He wants sushi. So me and my friend from work decide that this will be easy. Love her to death, I probably wouldn't have said yes without her! Have I ever made sushi before? No, but I've watched my little sushi men make it in front of me. Did we say no to this challenge? Absolutely not. We took the challenge, and here it is, my version of a VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE SUSHIII ROLLLL. She made some with crab- and she taught me the techniques of assembly...and thank goodness for her!
Only thing here is the portions are going to be a little iffy- I had to make this in bulk at work so I'm guesstimating everything. Therefore, you might have extra of a lot of stuff- so why not use it to make more sushi or something else, ya know?
Vegetarian Sushi Roll with Spicy Veganaise
For the sushi
1 package of sushi nori paper
4 cups sticky rice
2 avocados, pitted and sliced
2 large carrots, julienned
2 cucumbers, peeled and julienned
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Spicy Mayo
2 cups veganaise
1/4 cup sambal oelek (or sriracha works too)
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
if you want to make less- it is 1 tablespoon of mayo for 1 teaspoon of chili sauce
1. Cook the sticky rice according to your method of cooking. Make sure you clean the rice before you cook it! I used a rice cooker, sprayed the sides with oil, filled it with the amount of water specified, and let it cook.
2. While rice is cooking, julienne your carrots and cucumbers and slice your avocados- they should be very fine any very thin. Once cut up, put in a dry paper towel (you want everything to be very dry, otherwise your nori paper will rip!)
3. For the spicy mayo, add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir. Put in refrigerator until ready to use!
4. When rice is done, add in the sugar, sesame oil, and vinegar to your rice. Let the rice cool.
5. To assemble to sushi
- lay out your nori roll
- when the sticky rice is cool, take 1/2 cup and put it in the middle of your nori paper. Using dry hands, pat the rice on a little over THREE QUARTERS of the paper (so a little over 1/4 of the paper will not have rice on it)
- take a handful of carrots, a handful of cucumber, and 3 slices of avocado and lay them on top of the rice. don't overlap them- each vegetable gets a portion of the rice!
- take a tablespoon of spicy mayo and dollop it across the vegetables
- now comes the wrapping part- take the end with the rice and start rolling it towards the end with no rice- be careful, this is where it gets tricky!
-when you wrap it all the way, take your finger and carefully moisten it and dab the ends of the nori paper so it sticks.
- cut it in half with a serrated knife, then cut the halves again. This will give you four big sushi rolls! Cut them again and you'll get 8..however you like them!