Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chickpeas on Chickpeas

I decided to trial the length of an average bike ride to work. I thought it was going to be something ridiculous like 30 minutes- but it was actually only 15 minutes! That makes me so much more motivated to bike to work. 

I've been trying to keep positive spirits lately because I feel like there's been so much negativity around me. I want to be a happy-go-lucky kinda gal. I want to make better of life. I don't want to dwell on bad- happiness is bliss, baby!

For today's post, I made some semi-homemade chickpea soup! Usually, I work long days and when I come home, I don't want to spend a great deal of time cooking- I just want to eat! one of my favorite soups is Wegman's Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Soup. I love this soup so much because you can jazz it up any way you want it. For mine- I simply warmed it up on the stove top and added:   -1/2 can chickpeas (drained)                       -A big heaping bunch of kale or spinach (I get kale from my mom's boyfriend's garden-but I've tried spinach and it works just as good!)                                           -1 teaspoon sriracha and a pinch of cumin and crushed red pepper flakes.
Let the chickpeas simmer for approximately 10 minutes and garnish with whatever you want- I garnished mine with some sprouted garbanzo (chickpeas) beans, some cup up scallions and a few more drops sriracha. In little than you know, you have a faux-gourmet meal! So easy! BUT WAIT- it gets better

One of the most frustrating things about not using a whole can of chickpeas is that you'll feel obligated to either A) throw it out B) throw it in a boring salad C) Make Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Soup again. I love the soup, but variety is nice, ya know? What I like to do is premake my lunch for work the next day and make a wonderful CHICKPEA SALAD! What? That's right-- another recipe that is just as fast and you can save some time in the morning before bolting to work (might I say, you might be able to enjoy that cup of coffee). And- this recipe is so versatile you can tweak it any way you want- in 10 minutes or less :]. All you need is:
Chickpea Salad
Serves 1
- 1/2 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon EVOO
- 1 Plum tomato, diced
- Few sprinkles Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper


  • Toss gently right in your to go container for work and store it in the fridge for the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment