Monday, June 11, 2012

Rhubars & my Chip-Free Diet

it was probably my first weekend off in a while, so Bill and I decided to head to his side of town and visit his family. It was sweet- and I wished it didn't end. His family is so genuine, it's a nice getaway from my crazy family. Before we went, I made some rhubars that I will put the recipe on in just a minute.


But lately, I've come to a revelation. Ever since I found out about the Celiac Disease, I've been eating so many potato chips in an unhealthy, binging way. I've gained the weight to compensate, and starting tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to begin a healthier, chip-free diet! HA! I'm actually serious too. I am thinking about planning my meals for the week and sticking to that meal plan. Hopefully, this will be able to save me some money, and extra snacking , and if all goes well I'll probably post a sample week menu on my blog



Alright, enough of this- here's what I like to call the "rhubar" recipe, breaking it down into 3 parts

1. Rhubarb Compote
5 cups Rhubarb, chopped (like above)
1 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon
  • Place everything in a medium sized saucepan and cook over medium heat- until the sugar dissolves and bubbles
  • Once sugar bubbles, reduce heat to a simmer for 10-12 minutes
  • Once the Rhubarb is very mushy , either finish it off in a blender or use an immersion blender to get a smoother texture. 
2. Almond Crust
2/3 cup almonds
1 cup GF AP Flour (Any works)
2T sugar 
1/2t salt
4+T canola oil
4+ T unsweetened almond milk

  • Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray and Preheat oven 350 F
  • Put almonds, flour, sugar and salt into a food processor and process until it's a flour-like texture
  • alternate between canola oil and almond milk, tablespoon by tablespoon. After 4 tablespoons, check to see if the dough is fully mixed. If not, add another round of each per tablespoon.
  • If the dough in the processor begins to form a ball, then it is ready. Place your dough in the baking pan and press it down throughout with your fingers. It doesn't need to go above the sides- only line the bottom
  • Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, then refrigerate. 
3. Rhubars
2 cups rhubarb compote
3/4c applesauce
1/4c lemon juice
1/2c sugar
3T corn starch
1 Almond Crust Recipe
  • Reduce oven temperature to 325 F
  • Whisk all your ingredients together until incorporated
  • Take out your crust from the refridge and pour your filling over top
  • Bake for 22-25 minutes

For best results, let it cool down before you cut. Also, I like to keep mine refrigerated for best taste. 



No comments:

Post a Comment