Monday, July 23, 2012

Watermelon Gazpacho



It's already halfway through the summer and I realize I have not even posted a recipe about watermelon. Like, really? I eat it every day and still have yet to make it more creative than cutting it into a wedge and throwing the occasional spice on top!! 

Today turned out to be a perfect day to make it, considering it was so hot, yet no too scorching to make a perfect gazpacho- a soup served cold [dahhh]. This gazpacho is the perfect combination of refreshing and spicy. 

I made mine for my mom's friend for a party. Apparently it was a huge hit because my mom said people were guzzling it down! and the best part? It literally took less than 10 minutes.

Watermelon Gazpacho
serves a party; 10 minutes to make
4-5 cups watermelon, seedless, chopped
1 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
1 large beefsteak tomato, chopped
1 medium shallot, diced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 tablespoon of fresh basil or mint (I used basil since it was fresh from the garden), chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
2. Add your mixture to a blender in 3 parts- make it as chunky or as smooth as you want. I made my first two batches chunky (blended for 5 seconds), and my last one very smooth (blended for 15 seconds). Serve in a large bowl and ladle into elegant cups or glasses and garnish with a fresh basil leaf!

Just catching up on the latest news in the Pocono Record. My smart boy ;]


1 comment: