Friday, July 27, 2012

[Chocolate] Fruit and Nut Granola Bars





As my half marathon gets closer and closer, the more health-conscious I become. Probably my main goals in order to pull through are 1) not pass out, 2) eat so my muscles aren't worn out and 3) eat more protein. Protein is one of the hardest things to get when you are Celiac-crazy and vegan!


Every morning after I run, I make sure I have a very protein-dense shake. Even when I don't run, I make sure to get a good portion of protein in the morning. It is optimal to get it at breakfast. On the mornings that I don't drink a Hemp Chocolate Protein Power Shake, I make these awesome fruit and nut granola bars- it is SO easy to make; just needs a little love and time; but it's totally worth it- even my mom was enthused to make these awesome granola bars! I use a dehydrator to make these, and I'm not 100% sure how these would be in the oven. If you do put them in the oven, I would suggest putting it on the lowest heat possible. If it works- let me know!

Chocolate, Fruit and Nut Granola Bars
vegan ~ gluten free ~ can be raw
2 cups raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts
3/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup dates, chopped and pitted
(optional) 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

1. First, place your flaxseeds in a coffee grinder and grind into a fine powder. Set aside
2. Place your strawberries and blueberries (or any other berries you prefer) into a blender and puree. Add your flax seed into the mix and blend until it is finely incorporated.
3. Next, add in your chopped dates into a food processor and pulse for 5 seconds. Then, add in your walnuts and almonds and process it into a find, crumbly texture.
4. combine your nut and fruit mixture into a mixing bowl and stir until finely incorporated. 
5. Spread your mixture onto a teflon dehydrating sheet. Put in the dehydrator at 100 F for 12 hours.
6. After 12 hours, take out your almost-ready granola bars and cut lines, you can either do 4 x 5, 2 x 6, whatever you prefer! Put them back in the dehydrator for another 12 hours on 100 F
7. Once they are done, you can melt the dark chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle on top! To make them raw, you can omit this- but it is so good with them!

Mini golfin' with this goon- guess who won?




No comments:

Post a Comment