Tuesday, November 13, 2012

To My Papa Joe

On November 3, 2012, my father passed away. He was only 61 years old. It was a brain tumor that was long unrecognized that took his life away from my family. I've been struggling, bad, trying to cope with this. But for me, and I know for my dad, my perspective on this is to enjoy life, not just exist in it. My dad was the kind of person that didn't want to burden anybody with his troubles, so he'd do anything in the world to show everybody that he was always okay.

I dedicate my workaholicness to my dad- my mom tells me it almost every day. My dad was one of the most hardworking men in my life, and he did it for my family. He gave Joey, my mom and I everything we ever wanted. He built his own recycling company from the group up- just so he could provide his family. 

It's going to be hard to find a guy that even compares to you, Daddy, because I know how picky you were (there is a reason why you've only met 1 of my 3 ex-boyfriends!). But if there's one thing I promise, I promise that he will be someone you are proud to walk me down the aisle to. I promise that whoever my future husband is, his work ethics will be just like yours so my family can live a sustainable life. I promise that everything I do in my life, it will be for you and for Marie. I promise I'll take care of Joey and Ma for you. And I promise that I'll recycle as much as I can. I love you so much Daddy, please take care of Marie, Pop Pop, Hershey, Floppy, Kelly, Cynthia, and Ginger up there. Guide us from above; If I go to Cracker Barrel, I'll get you eggs and pancakes. I won't go to Olive Garden, because I know you hated the fake Italianness of it. One day, I'll go to Tomasso's and get you a veal parm. When I go to Cooperstown, I'll buy 1 Heineken- the only time I've ever seen you drink, which made me and Joey cry. I'll root for the Yankees when they're playing (but I can't give up my Phillies). I'll teach my kids how to play baseball and basketball, just like you did for me and Joey. And when I go to the beach, I'll bring my kids and teach them how to body surf. 

Love you Daddy,
Your Prec.



1 comment: