Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lazy Saturdays

         10am~ What is better than sleeping in? Waking up to my boyfriend in my onesie pouring us some grapefruit juice and preparing breakfast :P. He is the biggest goof ever but I love him for this- he definitely made my morning a little bit brighter... especially since we found out that my microwave may or may not be slightly broken-- it took us 6 minutes to cook oatmeal that takes 3 minutes!!
          Although the oatmeal took longer (we probably could've just put it on the stovetop!) it was made wonderfully and enjoying the FN Chocoholic special was definitely a good morning! Plus, the PARENT TRAP was on! Bill even put a little nutella in mine. I don't know if you are catching on- but I obviously love chocolate. Chocolate is like...my life. Yup...you can say that since I will probably end up becoming a Chocolatier! Anyways...today I need to really focus on studying because next week is my hell week :[ So I prepared my snack and lunch for the day!
Some helpful tips!
1. ALWAYS PACK A LUNCH! Almost anywhere you go...everything is going to have grains and wheat in it...and you need your carbs to stay focused when you have a long day of studying!
2. Put your dressing in a separate bowl! You don't want your salad to get soggy!
3. When you're going to be out for a long time...never underpack. Either way, you are going to be tempted with food and why not be tempted with food that you know won't have gluten in it/won't be contaminated AND food that is healthier?! :]
         When I got home from walking in the treacherous snow...I was freezing. So I decided to treat myself to some homemade treats I made :] They were surprising moist (for a gluten-free recipe!) and the agave really helped sweeten these. These can make a superb breakfast treat or an after dinner treat. I made 3/4 of my batter into a loaf and it was so YUMMY. If you would rather have a loaf, change your baking temp to 350 and bake for 30-40 minutes. Here's the recipe to my fabulous Sweet Agave Carrot Muffins!
Agave Carrot Muffins 
Serving: 24 Muffins
2c brown rice flour
1 1/4c garbanzo bean flour
2-3T flaxseed
1 1/2t baking soda
1t salt
2t cinnamon
1c canola oil
2c water
1 1/2T vanilla extract 
1 3/4c agave nectar
2c grated carrots (~6 medium sized) 
2c pecans or walnuts 
1/2c raisins

For the icing
3/4c soy powder
1t vanilla extract
1/4c hot water
Icing Instructions:
1. Add your soy powder and vanilla extract 
2. whisk your hot water into your soy powder slowly
3. Place in your refrigerator until needed at the end of the recipe!

Muffin Instructions: 
1. Preheat the oven to 325F and spray your muffin pan (I had only 1-6 muffin tin cup)
2. Combine your "dry"- brown rice flour, garbanzo bean flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine your "wet"-oil, water, extract and agave. In intervals, whisk in your flour mixture into your wet that way the flour has enough time to be absorbed into the wet mixture
4. Once your flour is fully combined, fold in your carrots, walnuts and raisins. 
5. Use an ice cream scooper and fill your muffin tin cups 3/4 the way with your batter
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes if you have a 6 cup muffin pan, and 20-25 minutes if you have 12 cup muffin pan.
7. Let it cook for 15 minutes. Once cooled, drizzle/dip/whatever you want your muffins with the vanilla icing and enjoy :]


No comments:

Post a Comment